Monday, June 28, 2010

Up, up and Away!

In hopes of helping to create some fun memories for the little ones, we decided to be a little overzealous for last weekend's Freedom Festival Children's Parade (it runs down Center Street in Provo; any kids and their families are invited to participate). We planned for several weeks (OK, this was all Rachel's doing), and eventually decided on doing a NASA space shuttle. So, we borrowed a red wagon and got to work.We spent two nights until some after bed-time hours trying to figure out how to make it work. Rachel made cool hats, shakers and capes to make things a little more festive. It was a lot of work, but I think our kids loved it!
We even made a little smoke compartment with a dish of bubbling dry ice for a little take-off effect. That worked for like 7 minutes.We were even lucky to get one of what was probably several trophies recognizing those people who were weird enough to spend lots of time decorating an entry.

5 comments:

The Jesperson Family said...

That is awesome!! Tanner would have LOVED to be toted around in a parade in that! I may need to see how you did it so I can try to replicate it some time. Nice work Rachel!!

The Oldroyd's said...

Very cute and enthusiastic. Love it and I am sure it will always hold great memories.

welovebees said...

I want to see if you and Michelle want to come over for lunch one day - or if we wanted to meet in the park with all our kids since I am in the middle of you two now. Let me know if you think that is possible - and maybe get me Michelle's email.

brandi said...

I love it rach!! So cute!!

Elissa Stewart said...

I hope I can be as cool as parents as you two are.